SarWestShows.comThe Gun That Made the 20s Roar! Coming soon!
LOGIN   PASSWORD

Grand Power: P1 Ultra and P40 Pistols

By Chris A. Choat

Small Arms Review was recently supplied with two new pistols from the company Grand Power, which is based in Slovakia. Actually the pistols are not really all that new. Models of these pistols have been coming into this country since around 2008, imported by different companies and under different names.
Since that time they have seen several refinements and added features. Grand Power is headquartered in Slovenska Lupca, Slovakia, and has manufacturing facilities there as well as in Banska Bystrica, Slovakia. They have been building pistols since 2002 and do it with the latest and most modern equipment. Today, when producing weapons, the company GRAND POWER is 100-percent self-supporting in terms of mechanical machining, thanks to their own production plants. They use the latest 4- and 5-axis machining machines with an accuracy of +/-0.005 mm and very high production rates. Heat treatments and surface treatments, as well as molded plastic parts, springs and pins are provided by subcontractors. Currently, the company has 80 employees, and more than 2,000 guns leave the factory per month. Grand Power produces almost 30 models of pistols in .22LR, .380ACP, 9 mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP calibers. They are now imported in the US by Eagle Imports.

The uniqueness of these weapons lies especially in the unique, patent-protected design of the slide locking system via a rotating barrel. This locking method increases the comfort of shooting, mainly in two ways: 1) it significantly eliminates muzzle flip and 2) reduces recoil. The force applied on the hand of the shooter after the shot is significantly lower than with guns of comparable caliber. At this time the company exports almost 95 percent of its production. The remaining 5 percent are sold in Slovakia.

The two pistols that were supplied for testing were the P1 Ultra Mk12 and the P40. The P1 Ultra Mk12 is 9 mm, and as you might guess, the P40 is chambered for .40 S&W. The P40 is also available in .357 Sig and 10 mm. Both pistols are single/double action that can be carried...

This article first appeared in Small Arms Review V21N2 (March 2017)
and was posted online on January 27, 2017

SUBSCRIBER COMMENT AREA

Comments have not been generated for this article.